If anybody tells you it’s worth skimping on a professional wedding photographer and you can settle for an amateur family volunteer “who has a fancy camera”, don’t listen to them. The ceremony lasts only a few hours but the glorious memories are preserved for a lifetime in photographs. If those photographs don’t capture the essence of the occasion or are a far cry from what you had in mind, it’s a big disappointment. Here’s why a professional wedding photographer is worth their weight in gold:
1. Wedding photos are an amalgamation of action shots and posed moments. Wedding photography is different from normal shoots since you can’t expect to retake a moment like when you say “I do”. A professional wedding photographer has the instinct to predict and capture dynamic sentiments thanks to years of practice and experience.
2. Your wedding photographer knows how to make you look your best in pictures. By saying funny jokes, giving you subtle tips, placing you in a locations with gorgeous light, and just generally being that person that handles all that stuff so you don’t have to, allows you to relax and be confident that the person you’re trusting to capture the best day of your life...knows what they’re doing.
3. The wedding photographer is committed to you all through the day. We are guaranteed to show up and fulfil all obligations. An amateur might wander off occasionally and risk missing great shots or a friend you asked to take pictures could get drunk and decide to call it a day. A professional, on the other hand, starts early and finishes late capturing everything in between.
4. Great photography is more than just about owning a great camera. A professional photographer is equipped with the right gear to ensure top-notch photos that you will cherish for life. Lenses, lighting, tripods, flashes and backup equipment, not to mention years of practice, is what a professional brings to the table.
5. A photographer knows how to work in tricky lighting and can leverage any setting to their advantage. As soon as we walk into a room, we instinctively know the best spot to set up. A great photographer is aware of different angles and lighting and comprehends how to change the settings accordingly.
6. A great wedding photographer is an asset. From years of practice and fine tuning our style, we know how to tweak your pictures after the wedding day to give them that something special. Blemishes are gone, that pluke that decided to show up in the morning?...Gone. We take the time to make sure your pictures look beautiful and professional but most importantly, tell the story of your special day.
7. Before the big day, you and your partner can sit with the photographer to plan out your wedding and tell them any notions that you might like to incorporate in the shoot. An experienced photographer can suggest ideas to photograph your wedding or if they have access to the venue, can visit it beforehand and pinpoint scenic locations where you could have your portraits taken.
Taking the time to look through photographers portfolios and website, asking for testimonials, speaking or even sharing a few emails between each other are all things you can do to make sure you’re picking the right photographer for your day (me).
Choosing a photographer you’re confident in will make the entire wedding planning that little easier. We will handle it, and allow you to relax and enjoy the day knowing we’re on it and doing our thing. You only do this once so do it right.
If you want to contact me and apply some of the things outlined in this post, please contact me and lets have a chat.